Skip to main content

About this Show

Road to the White House

Series/Special. (2011) Former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-PA)

NETWORK

DURATION
01:30:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
Annapolis, MD, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Channel 81 (567 MHz)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
704

PIXEL HEIGHT
480

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Us 19, Washington 16, Pennsylvania 14, California 9, D.c. 7, Karen 7, Queens 5, Iowa 5, U.s. 4, Obama 4, Geraldine Ferraro 4, Pittsburgh 4, Gabriel 3, Rick Santorum 3, Bella 3, Paul Fong 3, Libya 3, New Hampshire 3, C-span 2, United States 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  CSPAN    Road to the White House    Series/Special.  (2011)  
   Former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-PA)  

    March 27, 2011
    9:30 - 11:00pm EDT  

9:30pm
done is create a fair playing field where private investment can come forward. what we shouldn't be doing is having unfair subsidies. what we're dog doing is making sure on the issues such as planning and the issues such as carbon pricing that there is a very clear situation so that nuclear, which is part of the energy mix in this country can go on being part of the energy mix in our country. >> nikki morgan. >> thank you mr. speaker. >> i went to a college in my constituency and spoke to a bright group of economic students. we discussed the fact that governments cannot spend money they do not have. the students understood that. why does my right honorable friend think we don't understand understand that? >> the right honorable lady makes a good point. i know the party opposite doesn't like to hear about the mess that they left. let me give them new published position about the mess that they left. this is what we inherited.
9:31pm
wasteful government spending behind kazakhstan. 108 behind milawi, and yes you guessed it libya. this is the best one. on soundness of banks 133rd. our banks under labor were less sound than the ones in serbia, estonia, madagascar a and chad. that's the record we inherited from the party opposite. and we won't tire of reminding them! >> order! >> each week the house of commons is in session we air prime minister's questions live on c-span 2 wednesday at 7:00 p.m. eastern and then again on c-span at 9:00 p.m. eastern and pacific. you can go to cspan.org to find links to the prime minister's
9:32pm
commepts. -- comments. >> coming up in a couple minutes, road to the white house with likely g.o.p. presidential candidate rick santorum. >> also geraldine ferraro's vice-presidential acceptance speech. she died yesterday at the age of 75. >> later on "q&a" charles blow, op-ed writer for the "new york times". >> tomorrow on "washington journal" a look at washington this week with corey boles and jake cher man. -- sherman. also mike baker. and a look at the national flood insurance program with ben mckay. that's live at 7:00 a.m. eastern
9:33pm
here on c-span. >> monday, president obama is going to deliver a speech on libya from the national defense university in washington, d.c. he'll give an update on the situation there, including the acks the u.s. has taken with allies and partners and the transition to nato command and control. that's the president's speech on libya monday night at 7:30 p.m. eastern here on c-span, and on dr.-span radio. -- and on c-span radio. >> you are watching c-span. every morning it is "washington journal" our live call-in program. weekdays watch live coverage of the u.s. house and week nights congressional hearings and policy forum. also compreem supreme court oral argument. on the weekend, you can see our signature program.
9:34pm
on saturdays "the communicators" and on sunday questions from the prish house of commons. you can watch our programming at any time on c-span.org. c-span, washington your way. a public service created by america's cable companies. >> our series of interviews with likely g.o.p. candidates continues with former pennsylvania senator rick santorum. we'll talk to him about his political career. when he began thinking of running for president and why. what issues he thinks are important in the 2010 campaign. states rights and health care. his views on abortion. church views on state. and his views on catholocism. this is about 50 minutes.
9:35pm
>> when did you decide you had to get involved? >> the same motor vague as a lot of the tea party people. i thought this was a tipping point. if obama care took over the health care system, america as i was given it, as my grandfather and father came to this country that place would no longer exist. i went out started talking and working on campaigns and helping people around the country and trying to stir people up and provide a message, and i got a lot of feedback saying, hey you should think of doing this
9:36pm
again, running for something. just again, kept walking down the path. i found out by the way when i went to iowa -- we had been in 20-some states, when i had been to iowa, c-span started to cover my speech. other people started to say oh, you're running for president. well, you are in iowa, you must be running for president. in some respects, i kept going back to iowa and then new hampshire and south carolina because every time i did i got covered. that's what i wanted to do. i wanted to be heard. when i did that, i was encouraged by people in those states to start thinking about it. that's sort of how this all happened much -- happened. really by accident. >> you were quick to point out "not a tea party guy." explain what you mean? >> i love the tea party. i'm not going to claim the mantel, because tea party folks are folks who by and large have not been active in politics in the past and sort of were brought out because of what's
9:37pm
going on in washington, d.c.. i am very sympathetic for what they are doing. i think they have done a great service to the country. i was just sort of aligning my motivations for going out there and reengaging was because of what they were excited about. >> so if you run why do you want to be president? >> well, and i believe as i said before, that our country is at a tipping point. we -- not just economically, but culturally as well as we've seen recently by national security point of view, i think we need someone who believes in america, and america first prins principles. that americans have the curnl of my convictions to go out and fight for those principles. to fight for limited government. to fight for a limited government that believes that we are a great country because of our people. and our people are free, and
9:38pm
free people individually, and collectively, have created the greatest country in history. not a powerful washington group of people who can plan the course of america. that's not how america became great. it didn't become great because of things done here in washington, d.c. it came here because the people in washington, d.c. believed, originally, that our country would be great if free people were given the ability to pursue their dreams, go what god's call on their life was, that we would have a better country, that we would be our brother's keepers, that we would create this great society from the bottom up. and we did. now we have a group of people that believe that we can perfect it by doing it from the top down. and i disagree with that. i believe we need someone who can paint a vision as to what america can be going forward. it is not control and power here in washington, d.c. it is going back to those principles that made us great.
9:39pm
>> so what is the state of the union today? what is the state of america? >> i think we are as i said at a turning point. i say all the time that the first thing that needs to be done in 2013 -- it may get done by the courts before then, is to repeal obama care. we need to begin the process of backing off the federal government -- of creating this society again that believes in people instead of government. believes in freedom and the opportunity to succeed greatly and to even fail greatly. that that dynamic -- that destructive and effective capitalism has changed the world. >> let me see about two points of the president's health care bill, this past week being the anniversary. department of health and human services pointing out, if you are out of college and you have some college in college or heading to college, they get back in the workforce, they can
9:40pm
stay on your plan until the age of 26. is that a good thing? >> most states had provisions like that. to me that's something that the federal government doesn't need to do. if it is a good idea, the states will put that in place. again, if you look at a lot of the things the federal government sticks their nose in, they are things they frankly don't need to stick their nose in. these are things according to the constitution that are up to the states to do, and if they think this is a good idea, insurance, as you know rvings is regulated state-by-state. so we don't need a federal government plan. if you look at the thousands of pages of bills in the obama care bill this is one small part that happens to be popular. if it is popular it will get passed in other states. we don't need to do it here. it is not a justification for the government take-over of the health care system and mandating that everyone has to be covered what they are covered with. the minimum plan. i was just in south carolina
9:41pm
talking to an insurance company down there. they told me almost 80% of the plans they offer would have to be -- the benefits would be increased under obama care. driving up costs to everyone. why? because the federal government says this is the insurance policy you have to have at a minimum. there is no custom zation, there is no personal zation, no individual zation. it is all again smart people in washington think they can plan better than you can decide for yourself, and that is the wrong approach. >> the white house argument is that if you don't have health insurance your emergency room becomes your prim ri care physician. >> that certainly hasn't been the case in massachusetts where they instituted an individual mandate, required everyone to be covered, and guess what happened? emergency visits actually went up, didn't go down. utilization went up. didn't go down. guess what you give people access to free health care they are going to use it as inefficiently as they used it before.
9:42pm
that's why you can't have the government say, here's what we're going to give you. you have to have a system in place that engages the individual. makes them have a stake in the game. i think it is important that we do have health insurance coverage for everybody but we have to do it in a way that engages the individual so they have some financial interest in the health care that they are consuming. if not we are going to get misallocation of resources over-utilization, and this bill, which is scheduled to cost over $2 trillion the first 10 years it is implemented will be a fraction of that. it will be much more than that. unless we do something to get people involved. it is a group of people in washington led by president obama who believe they are smart enough to tell you everything you need to do and how to do it as opposed to saying, no, we're going to trust individuals. the program i'm advocating is something called you care, which is speaker -- centered around
9:43pm
you, not him. >> what is your view of mit romney? zwr he had the right to do it. i don't believe that president obama's bill is constitutional. i don't believe he had the right to tell -- the federal government has the right to tell individuals what they can and can't buy anymore than i can force you to buy that suit. that's -- i do believe that's wrong. the states, on the other hand, under the u.s. constitution has the right to do it. the state constitution may not allow them, but the federal constitution does. so he had the right to do it. it was not the right thing to do. and, you know, individual mandates and a prescripping -- predescriptive top down is how it is going to run. what you are going to see is the program is not working well. people joining in the ranks of the inshured are doing so through the medicaid insurance. private sector insurance is, as you saw, governor patrick try to put a cap in fact, freeze any kind of premium increases.
9:44pm
they are driving up costs and say to the insurance companies well, you can't cause charge anymore p this is a heavy prescriptive idea that people can't work this out, that government can't do it and it is not the right approach to take. >> will it be an issue in the republican primary. >> i believe as you have heard that obama care is the -- it is not just health care. it is not just the size and scope of government, it also has a huge impact on our economy. there were these taxes and regulations and mandates that are coming down the pike. i am sure, in fact i have heard from businesses, is creating that level of uncertainty. one of the reasons we are not seeing the rebound that we would like to see, i believe is obama care out there. l >> under romney's plan, though? >> certainly you need to have someone out there who believes
9:45pm
in you care, not romney care, the governor telling everybody what kind of care they are going to have, or the president telling everybody what kind of care they are going to have, but in fact, a system that allows for a market that is focused on you and that you design the kind of health care that you want. >> there are two terms in the house of representatives, two terms in the senate. a fast-rising g.o.p. star. my question is, did you view yourself as a fast-rising star? >> no. because usually fast-rising stars tend to burn out and fade. so i sort of saw myself as someone who was there had a purpose for being there. engaged. that's one of the things i felt a privilege. diversity like pennsylvania. being in the united states senate, he had a range of experiences and a rain many of people had interest in things.
9:46pm
there was always interesting that people would bring me lots of great ideas and have lots of great opportunities to talk about those ideas here in d.c., whether it was national security issues some major pieces of legislation. i worked on agricultural policies from pennsylvania, i worked on, you know, social welfare policies. there was president a bill that passed in the 12 years i was in the senate that had to deal with dealing with the poor that i wasn't heavily involved in, in one way or another. the diversity of my state sort of -- there was not a bill that passed in the 12 years i was in the senate that had to deal with dealing with the poor that i wasn't heavily involved in, in one way or another. i have a long record of accomplishments that we were able to get done on a bipartisan basis that you know, were implementation of conservative ideas that were consistent with
9:47pm
the ideas i advocated. my parents met when they were working for the veterans administration after the war. they got married in the mid 1950 's. they got married in martinsburg west virginia, when they met. the closest hospital, my mother was almost 40 when i was born. they needed a fuller service hospital, because that was considered old to have children back then. i was born in winchester. my parents moved to suburban pittsburgh, butler, pennsylvania, when i was 7 years old, and i spent most of my next 10 years there. i graduated from high school in illinois because my parents were transferred with the v.a. i always said i grew up on public housing because we always lived on the v.a. grounds. we lived on the post. we lived in apartments. it was great atmosphere to grow up there.
9:48pm
had a lot of interactions with our vetravens. came to have a lot of respect for our military and for those who served. as my parents did obviously working there. i went to penn state, and stayed ever since. >> before running for the house i was practicing law. in pittsburgh i got out of college, b.a. from the university of pittsburgh. it was someone i met from penn state and was his chief of staff for five years. during that last five years, i went to law school and graduated from law school, and decided i wanted to come back home to pittsburgh. you know, sort of plant some roots down there, and ended up practicing law for a few years. it felt like one of the things where again a plan, gee this is what i want to do. but i was not happy with the congressman who was representing me, so i started to run.
9:49pm
>> who did you commeng? >> doug robert. he was a 14-year incumbent congressman. chairman of the subcommittee on the energy and commerce committee. he had never since his first race gotten a large percentage of the vote. it was not a difficult thing to run for. there were not foo many people interested in running against him. i put my name on the ballot. my name recognition in the district was 6%. i was told by my pollster, go back to work, because you are not going to win this race. i was out-spent 3-1. it was a heavily democratic district. it was mid-term bush 41. the top of the ticket was bob kasich and i was second on the
9:50pm
ballot. in some respects i look at that race and it was more of a m. l than anything else. i knew that potentially my days were numbered. because in 1992, as we're going through right now, in years ending with 2, is a redistricting year. pen not lost two dog congressional seats. i was told by both my colleagues in the statehouse and senate, that i was going to be one of those two seats and indeed i was. my home was put into a district that was well over 70% democratic in registration. and against a 20 or 22-year democratic incumbent who eventually decided that he wasn't up for a challenge of running against me for some reason and ended up winning that race again. not a good election year. clinton won my district.
9:51pm
george bush only got 29% of my district. i was able to win, and decided to turn that into a senate race in 1994. >> we have elected presidents who have been in the senate or governor, you have not had any executive experience. >> we have had folks that only had legislative experience, guys like abraham lincoln, they did a good job in taking op that responsibility. you scombruft have to look at the person, their leadership qualities, their character. they are ability to paint a vision for the country and lead, and articulate that vision. so you have to look at the people you are surrounded with, the history of that person, and their ability to be able to work across the aisle in washington, d.c. it is highly unlikely you will have a situation like barack obama had with the super
9:52pm
majority in the house and senate and be able to do things with one party. look at my time in the senate. we got a lot of things done. i was able to take leadership. i don't think anyone would have called me a quish on the issues. when i was in the senate, i was known as a fire brain conservative, but we got things done. >> is there one thing that you are particularly proud of in the senate or the house? >> i think of all the things i worked on, the welfare reform bill that passed, i had as much of an imprint on that bill as a lot of people had imprints on that. i am taking credit for offering it. i am taking credit for a lot of things in there and the shape of it. i was in the house on the ways and means committee, and happened to be the ranking member of the resources subcommittee in 19 the 3 and 1994. i was asked by the leader and gingrich to draft a welfare
9:53pm
reform bill. so i chaired that process. and coming up with what was the contract for america welfare reform bill, it was our work product, my work product. then when i came to the senate, here aim a freshman member. welfare is a big issue. i worked with the chairman of the finance committee. both john ash croft and judd greg helped put the senate bill together. it turned out before the welfare bill was to come onto the floor the chairman of the senate bob packwood resigned. so we ended up with a new chair that didn't understand the bill so well, and in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king. so i went to bob dole and said i would like to be involved in managing it. he said, well just get up there. you get up there and start talking and you know what you
9:54pm
are talking about, and people will give you wr room. and in fact they d i ended up sitting in the chair for sometime and managing the debate and working with democrats as well as the administration. democrats in the senate as well as the administration in the house and putting together the final package. >> you lost your re-election bid for a third term. why did you lose? >> a lot of reasons. it was a bad election year. a lot of folks lost in 2006. it was a bad election year particularly in pennsylvania. we lost over six seats. our gubetorle candidate lost. we had a raft of scandals in pennsylvania. not related to me, but to two members of congress. one that had been out there for a while, and another occurred just two weeks before the election where a member of congress -- i think his office or his daughter's office was raided by the f.b.i. so with all that was going on in washington, with the scandal
9:55pm
there, it made republicans a bad brand. there are things i did. look, i wasn't shy about standing up and taking on the issues i cared about whether it was national security or the abortion issue. i was the leader on a lot of those issues. it was very devicive. marriage issue which was particularly devicive. i touched the third rails of politics on social issues as well as sshtskrt. social security. in 2005, i ran to the ramparts and was out there on the floor of the senate and pennsylvania. a whole series of town meetings on how we had to fix social security. pen espn the second old -- pennsylvania -- that effort did not work out. there are other things that went on. i was in the republican leadership.
9:56pm
i think when i got elected the first couple times i was seen as non someone who was out there sort of shaking up -- shaking things up. i make the argument, i continue to do so in leadership, but now i was part of the leadership. you are part of them as opposed to seen as outside that. so that and probably more. sort of create an environment which was not good in an election year where the president was sitting at the mid 30's in popularity in pennsylvania. >> as you know, often you learn more from losing than winning. did you learn anything? >> yeah, well i learned a lot of things. first off, i would say the most important lesson is that losing wasn't the most important thing that happened to you. not standing up and doing what is right is the worst thing that can happen to you. while i don't like losing, i can say pretty clear i never looked back. i never felt bad. i wasn't sad at all.
9:57pm
i could see on election night when i found out, the only thing i want to do on election night and i feel this way every time i go back to pennsylvania, is to get up and say thank you. thank you for giving the son of an italian immigrant who had zero name recognition when he first ran for office and was able to go out and take on the issues that i felt were important for the country. and the people of pennsylvania supported me. i just wanted to go out there and say thank you. and that's what i do. every time i go out i say thank you for giving me this incredible blessing. the second big blessing was i always thought pennsylvaniaians gave me not what i always wanted but what i needed. i was 48 years old. i had been in congress for 16 years. at the time we had six children we were raising and i needed to get home.
9:58pm
and it was a great blessing to me to be there over the last four years at a time when my children were going through some of the very important formative years. i'm not beating myself up too much as being a dad during my senate years but it was a busy, busy time, and it was always squeezing it n now i was able to coach little league and do the things that you really -- you should do as a partner as a panchte, as a father. -- as a partner as a parent, as a father. that was an important lesson for me and as a father. >> let me ask you about your state. you have been vocal when your catholicism. what does it mean to be a public official and also catholic? >> you know america is based op the cop concept madison called it the perfect remedy. the concept that people of faith and no faith are welcome into
9:59pm
the public square to extoll their points of view whether they are motivated by faith or not. whether justified by faith or not. they have the right to come and to articulate that. i believe that's why we get along so well here in america. i grew up in western pennsylvania. there were a lot of serbs and croatians there. i never knew that serbs and croatians didn't get along because the ones i knew did. so this idea of division was foreign to me. why? because we welcomed everybody in. that's how i see faith. faith needs to be welcomed back into the public square. i am very forthright about my faith in that it did help -- it did form my conscience. it had a huge influence in forming my conscience and has an influence on how i see the world. i am very up-front about that.
10:00pm
the reason is because it is true. i think you see a lot of politicians well, i -- do they really? if that's the case, what does motivate you? what does inform your conscience? what moral view are you reflecting when you come into the public arena? i think there is some disingenuousness about it. i think this is something you learn more from losing than winning. i think the public has a right to know who you are why you think the way you do, and no guessing game as to what he is going to do on this or that or the other. you know. not to say there aren't nuances and you can look at my record and see lots of times where you know, depending on the bill and the certain situations you have to use judgment. there is no you know, the teachings of your faith or reason don't always come to, you know, the same conclusion
10:01pm
because of the facts and circumstances being different. having said that, how you approach an issue and your foundational prins principles, i think it is important for people to be transparent about that, and i am. .
10:02pm
>> he turned it on his head and said that religion cannot impact government. that was never the intention of jefferson. it was clearly not his intention. it was not the intention of madison who said it is the perfect remedy, bring it into the public square. kennedy initiated a trend in this country that was exacerbated by the thinking in the 1960's and 1970's. there is no right to claim truth in the public square.
10:03pm
be motivated by is de facto banned from the public discourse. our founders would be spinning in their graves if they understood that that is how their words were twisted. everyone is in. as a catholic, i subscribe to the faith and reason. it is to wings -- two wings. they allow you to fly. you can arrive there by right reason as well as you can buy it. i applied both to my looking at these issues. it is important for folks in public life who are asking or potentially asking to lead. who are you and why do you believe what you believe? >> there is one issue that intersects religion and politics, including in pennsylvania. bishops do not want to served communion to catholics who are
10:04pm
for abortion rights. >> i am a catholic in public life, not a clergyman. that is a private discussion between the bishop and the communicant. i would leave it at that and i trust the bishops to handle those things and for politicians to stand out of it. >> what shaped your views on abortion? >> the seed was planted by my parents, who were pro-life. i was ambivalent on this issue when i first ran for congress. i was a 30 year-old guy who grew
10:05pm
up in the 1960's and 1970's and have friends with different opinions on the issue. it was one of these things that bothered me and i stayed away from it and never took much of a position. i was sort of agnostic. i was uncomfortable with it. most americans are. they do not like it, but they see that we want to ban it. it is a tough issue. i was dating my wife whose father was a geneticist. i saw that as an opportunity to try to get an understanding of what were the facts and try to go through the science on this. i tried to use reason. and i did. it was inescapable to me that the tide in the womb is the time at the moment of the best child in the womb is the child at the time of conception. i found a moral inconsistency with that, and inconsistency that i have talked about some
10:06pm
with famously over the last few months. it immediately brought me back to the dred scott decision where we look at people who said even though they are human beings, we are not going to treat them with the same rights from the constitution. i could not sustain that from an argument point of view. it was not an issue when i was running for congress. the man i was running against was pro-choice. i do not know whether it was a good thing or a bad thing for me to be. i felt that that was where i had to go. >> would you overturn roe versus wade? >> absolutely. i think it was one of the greatest abominations in the history of the courts. it creates a legal fiction that
10:07pm
a human thing -- that a human being is not a person simply because it happens to be in a particular place. if we do that -- the rationale that we are seeing played out in court decisions is that -- we saw it in the partial birth abortion case. if a child in the born can be killed, how about a child almost in -- a child in the womb can be killed, how about a child almost in the womb? i said what about a child's but that is almost out of the womb? she spent 20 minutes try to answer the question. she said this is irrelevant. i said, this is exactly the point. the court says, it is based on who the child -- where the child is, not who the child is.
10:08pm
that is a legal fiction that is dehumanizing. we see that being applied to those in the margins of life, those who are in chronically ill states or children who are born and have small chances of survival. having gone through that in my own life with our last child we face all of these things. i can tell you that it has been a tough journey, but it is one that i would never have passed up on to except life and take whatever life gives you. >> how did you meet your wife? >> i met her at the law firm. she had been offered a summer associate position at the firm. i was asked by a friend who could not make the recruiting trip to combat her to say yes.
10:09pm
we were going to take -- could not make the recruiting trip to convince her to say yes. she pleaded with me and i said no. so i went and i met my wife and the rest is history. >> married how many years? >> 21 years in june. >> you have eight children, seven living. you lost a son. what happened? >> i had just been through -- and karen had just been through -- the first time i had ever spoken on the floor of the senate on the issue of abortion was on the issue of partial birth abortion. it moved me when i found out about this. i had made the conscious decision not to stick your head
10:10pm
out of the thoughtful on these issues. when you do, you get painted into a picture. once you do something like that you are painted as an ultra conservative because you dare talk about issues like like an abortion and marriage and things like that, which are taboo in the mainstream media. i kept my head down and i saw this happening and i saw this procedure. the president would veto a bill like that. i felt i had to go out there and do something. the man who is bill it was bob smith, was up for reelection six weeks after this debate was to occur in september of 1996. he did not want to be about in a contentious pro-life battle before his election in new hampshire. he was looking for someone to take over.
10:11pm
everybody stepped back and i was standing there. i took the reins. that was a time when i was out fighting to ban a procedure that was used late in pregnancy when the pregnancy had gone awry, there was something wrong with the child. i will never forgets, on a couple of occasions with dianne feinstein and barbara boxer, talking about the fact that karen was pregnant. i did not know whether the child would be well or not, it was still my son or my daughter and i would love them whatever the case was. we had a sonogram and the doctor look over at us and said your son has a fatal defect and is going to die. talk about the world crashing down on you.
10:12pm
obviously, we were heartbroken and we were angry. i was particularly angry. i thought, here i am fighting or all of these little kids, and this is the thanks i get from god. what we felt was necessary was weak spot for the life of our child. -- we did what we felt was necessary, we thought were the life of our child. i learned about surgery in utero. this was a he still be that that i thought might be able to be prepared -- be able to be prepared. we had the procedure done and it was successful. as a result of the procedure karen got an infection in the womb. she said, give me some
10:13pm
antibiotics. it is in her womb, and the infection was going to cause her to go into labor because the body which expelled the infection and deliver the child. little gabriel was born in pittsburgh in october of 1996. he lived two hours. i would say, what a great blessing that only new love. he was with us for those two hours and we celebrated his life, as short as it was. we made sure his brothers and sisters saw him and knew that he was real and had the closure we felt was necessary. karen had been a nurse for many years. one of the things she learned was the importance of recognizing the child, the humanity of that child and for the family to recognize that and to grieve and to recognize
10:14pm
the loss. i can say with respect to our children who went through that, gabriel was seen as a great blessing, a little angel in heaven to help in times of stress. there was that closure and god has been good. he has turned gabriels life -- karen in the up writing a book about what we went through called "letters to gabriel." that book sold 25,000 copies. there is not a week that goes by that i am not out on the stop somewhere and someone says, i read your wife's book and it has helped me so much through the grieving process of losing a child. i would say to my kids, if they can have as much impact on the world for good as their brother did in two hours, they will be doing well. >> your oldest children is 19 -- your oldest child is 19 and
10:15pm
the youngest is 2 years old. she is a special needs child. >> karen was pregnant and doing the prenatal testing and the sonogram. they said, there is something not quite right and we cannot figure it out. when bella was delivered at 35 weeks, they had heard brought to the nicu to see what was wrong and they were not sure. they had to do some genetic testing. it was four days later that we found out she had a condition that means you have 23 chromosome pairs.
10:16pm
you get one each from the mother and the father. in her case, she got two. that can cause severe birth defects. in most cases, the child dies. only some cancer by. the most common is down syndrome. this condition has a much lower survival rate. we were on the internet as fast as you can imagine and on the statistics. bella was lucky that she was born alive because 90% of the children with this disorder cannot survive birth. the 10% that do survive die within the first year, most within the first few months. we were told to have low expectations. when she was sent home after 10 days, she was sent home on
10:17pm
hospice care. we were told to prepare for her to die. to my wife's credit, she never accepted that. she immediately was planning on her trip home. she signed up for pediatric visits. we were going to do everything we can to give bella the best light possible as long as god was going to give her to us. when the kids saw her coming home, they put up a big sign welcoming her. every week, we would have a birthday celebration. because we're not going to have years, we are going to have weeks. every week we had a birthday party. it back to the point up a month and we said we will do it every month.
10:18pm
we had birthday parties every month. now she is going to be three years old in may. we have gone through a lot. but she has been a great blessing to us. i always say that she makes us better. her humanity, the gift of love that she is. in the eyes of the world she cannot do a lot. she cannot see herself. -- feed herself. she does not talk, she makes noises. she may not ever be able to talk or walk, but she can love. she is infectious in our family. she is a great gift. >> there is no easy way to go from that to my next question. as you think about this presidential campaign, how do you get the nomination? what is your strategy?
10:19pm
>> just put 1 foot in front of the other. i feel like this is a situation where i had no intention of doing this in the first place. things just sort of happen. if this is what is supposed to happen, you just go out there and you take them one at a time. i did not know any other way to do it. there is no grand strategy. you go out to iowa and see how well you can do that. then you go out to new hampshire. there is no one is the strategy. you pick this state and do well here and there. my feeling is that if you are going to do this, go out and compete in every state. every state bring something a little different. there are elements of the party and elements of the independents in the states who can vote. you are going to have to appeal to southern republicans and midwest and republicans.
10:20pm
i am not interested in developing a strategy to win the primary and not be in a position to win the general. i want to say, we have done well everywhere. that is a good, strong basis for us to be successful and make the case. the strategy is, work hard. that was something that might bother, who came here with my grandfather and grew up in a company town in western pennsylvania -- the one thing he hammered home to me is hard work. there is no substitute for hard work. that is the case here. some people will have more money and more name recognition. hard work is the key to success in america.
10:21pm
we decided to pull the trigger on this thing. maybe people with better name recognition will get more media attention. but no one is going to outworked us. that goes for karen and the family. we decided to do this and there is only one way to do it. that is the strategy. we are getting to the point where we are going to have to make some decisions. i feel comfortable that the message and the messenger are getting some traction out there in these early primary states. the big question for me is the impact on my family and how i can balance those endless, which is not any -- to balance those entranced -- interests. that is not an easy thing to do. once i have had a little time, we will make a decision one way or another. >> how do you assess the
10:22pm
republican field with the names mentioned lately? >> i am more impressed with the republican field that i was in 2008. there are people who are good on issues. there was not so one -- someone who was the whole package. there was not someone who had a long, consistent record on conservatism across the board. we have a better reflection of the party in this group than in 2008. if i felt like there was someone who was really good, i would not be thinking of doing this. with both my experience and my track record and my willingness to take on the tough issues and my ability to go out and
10:23pm
communicate those issues in a way that was compelling in a state like pennsylvania and easier states that pennsylvania that we have to win to win the presidency, it is important to have someone who can do all those things -- be a good communicator, be someone with the courage of their convictions and take that vision for the future of our country. we have some folks out there that i like in i am impressed with. i think it will be an interesting primary if i decide to get into it. >> senator rick santorum, thank you for being with us. >> thank you. it is always good to be here. [captioning performed by national captioning institute] [captions copyright national cable satellite corp. 2011]
10:24pm
>> earlier today, "washington journal looked at how some states are preparing for the 2012 presidential primaries. here is a look at the process and california. will stay in california and a check in with paul fong, a member of the california state assembly. thank you for being with us live on "washington journal." that me ask you to weigh in on the argument that would move the california primary to june to save the state $100 million. by the savings? gut:he standalone primary cost us $97 million in 2008. if we consolidate we can save nearly $100 million. host: some would argue that it would decrease your influence on the republican nominee. guest: both parties have
10:25pm
extended the campaign season if you do not kw where the candidates will get the delegate votes. if california kept to their original schedule in 2008, we would have been more influential in determining our presidential candidates. host: if you go back to 1976 and 1980, california did have a say in determining the democratic nominee ultimately going to jimmy carter. y the change? why did california deem it necessary to move the primary as a stand-alone presidential primary? guest: they wanted to have more influence in therocess. they call it front loading the primary is hoping to determine who the candidate will be for both parties. that is the reason they moved it up but it did not determine it at all. host: what is california's current projected budget deficit? guest: $26.60 billion.
10:26pm
we have taken care of $10.50 billion so far. host: and this would save about -- $100 million, but just a small part of a larger budget deficit for california. guest: when every penny counts, that $100 million will go a long way. host: we are talking with paul fong a state representative and a democrat. gut: we have a bipartisan support and it passed the committee with bipartisan support and we have a couple of republican co-authors as well as the california state election the state board of counties. host: what about governor brown? guest: he is tied on monday and will see this as an savings. host: paul fong, state
10:27pm
representative joining us from california. thank you for giving us your perspective. we are talking about the 2012 primary calendars. and >> geraldine ferraro passed away saturday at the age of 75. she was the first female vice president nominee on a major party ticket and served as u.s. representative of new york's ninth district. now, here is a look at her vice- presidential acceptance speech at the 1984 democratic national convention in said francisco. this is about 30 minutes. ♪
10:28pm
♪ ♪ [cheers and applause]
10:29pm
[cheering]
10:30pm
>> ladies and gentlemen of the convention, my name is geraldine ferraro.
10:31pm
i stand before you to proclaim tonight, america is the land where dreams can come true for all of us. as i stand before the american people and think of the honor this great convention has bestowed upon me, i recall the words of dr. martin luther king jr., who made america stronger
10:32pm
by making america more free. he said, "occasionally in life there are moments which cannot be completely explained by words. their meaning can only be articulated by the inaudible language of the heart." tonight is such a moment for me. my heart is filled with pride. my fellow citizens, i proudly
10:33pm
accept your nomination for vice president of the united states. [cheers and applause]
10:34pm
you are wonderful. and i am proud to run with a man who will be one of the great presidents of this century, walter f. mondale. tonight, the daughter of a
10:35pm
woman whose highest goal was a future for her children talks to our nation's oldest party about a future for us all. tonight, the daughter of working americans tells all americans that the future is within our reach -- if we're willing to reach for it. tonight, the daughter of an immigrant from italy has been chosen to run for vice president in the new land my father came to love. our faith that we can shape a better future is what the
10:36pm
american dream is all about. the promise of our country is that the rules are fair. if you work hard and play by the rules, you can earn your share of america's blessings. those are the beliefs i learned from my parents. and those are the values i taught my students as a teacher in the public schools of new york city. at night, i went to law school. i became an assistant district attorney, and i put my share of criminals behind bars. i believe, if you obey the law
10:37pm
you should be protected. but if you break the law, you should pay for your crime. when i first ran for congress, all the political experts said a democrat could not win in my home district of queens. but i put my faith in the people and the values that we shared. and together, we proved the political experts wrong. in this campaign, fritz mondale and i have put our faith in the people. and we are going to prove the experts wrong again.
10:38pm
[applause] we are going to win, because americans across this country believe in the same basic dream. last week, i visited elmore, minnesota, the small town where fritz mondale was raised. and soon fritz and joan will visit our family in queens. nine hundred people live in elmore. in queens, there are 2,000
10:39pm
people on one block. you would think we would be different, but we're not. children walk to school in elmore past grain elevators. in queens, they pass by subway stops. but, no matter where they live, their future depends on education, and their parents are willing to do their part to make those schools as good as they can be. [applause] in elmore, there are family farms, in queens small businesses. but the men and women who run them all take pride in supporting their families through hard work and initiative. on the fourth of july in elmore they hang flags out on main street.
10:40pm
in queens, they fly them over grand avenue. but all of us love our country and stand ready to defend the freedom that it represents. [applause] americans want to live by the same set of rules. but under this administration, the rules are rigged against too many of our people. it isn't right that every year, the share of taxes paid by individual citizens is going up while the share paid by large corporations is getting smaller and smaller.
10:41pm
the rules say, everyone in our society should contribute their fair share. it isn't right that this year ronald reagan will hand the american people a bill for interest on the national debt larger than the entire cost of the federal government under john f. kennedy. our parents left us a growing economy. the rules say, we must not leave our kids a mountain of debt. it isn't right that a woman should get paid 59 cents on the dollar for the same work as a man.
10:42pm
[cheers and applause] if you play by the rules you deserve a fair day's pay for a fair day's work. it isn't right that -- that if trends continue, by the year 2000 nearly all of the poor people in america will be women and children. the rules of a decent society say, when you distribute sacrifice in times of austerity, you don't put women and children first.
10:43pm
it isn't right that young people today fear they won't get the social security they paid for, and that older americans fear that they will lose what they have already earned. social security is a contract between the last generation and the next, and the rules say, you don't break contracts.
10:44pm
we're going to keep faith with older americans. we hammered out a fair compromise in the congress to save social security. every group sacrificed to keep the system sound. it is time ronald reagan stopped scaring our senior citizens. it isn't right that young couples question whether to bring children into a world of 50,000 nuclear warheads. that isn't the vision for which americans have struggled for more than two centuries.
10:45pm
and our future doesn't have to be that way. change is in the air, just as surely as when john kennedy beckoned america to a new frontier, when sally ride rocketed into space and when reverend jesse jackson ran for the office of president of the united states. [applause] by choosing a woman to run for our nation's second highest office, you sent a powerful signal to all americans.
10:46pm
there are no doors we cannot unlock. we will place no limits on achievement. if we can do this, we can do anything. tonight, we reclaim our dream. we're going to make the rules of american life work fairly for all americans again.
10:47pm
to an administration that would have us debate all over again whether the voting rights act should be renewed and whether segregated schools should be tax exempt, we say, mr. president, those debates are over. on the issue of civil, voting rights and affirmative action for minorities, we must not go backwards. we must -- and we will -- move forward to open the doors of opportunity.
10:48pm
to those who understand that our country cannot prosper unless we draw on the talents of all americans, we say, we will pass the equal rights amendment. [cheers and applause]
10:49pm
[chanting "era! era!] the issue is not what america can do for women, but what women can do for america. to the americans who will lead our country into the 21st century, we say, we will not have a supreme court that turns the clock back to the 19th
10:50pm
century. to those concerned about the strength of american family values, as i am, i say, we are going to restore those values -- love, caring, partnership -- by including, and not excluding those whose beliefs differ from our own. because our own faith is strong, we will fight to preserve the freedom of faith for others.
10:51pm
to those working americans who fear that banks, utilities and large special interests have a lock on the white house, we say, join us, let's elect a people's president, and let's have government by and for the american people again. to an administration that would savage student loans and education at the dawn of a new technological age, we say, you fit the classic definition of a cynic. you know the price of everything, but the value of nothing.
10:52pm
to our students and their parents, we say, we will insist on the highest standards of excellence because the jobs of the future require skilled minds. to young americans who may be called to our country's service, we say, we know your generation of americans will proudly answer our country's call, as each generation before you. this past year, we remembered the bravery and sacrifice of americans at normandy. and we finally paid tribute -- as we should have done years ago -- to that unknown soldier who represents all the brave young americans who died in vietnam.
10:53pm
let no one doubt, we will defend america's security and the cause of freedom around the world. but we want a president who tells us what america is fighting for, not just what we are fighting against. we want a president who will defend human rights -- not just where it is convenient -- but
10:54pm
wherever freedom is at risk -- from chile to afghanistan, from poland to south africa. to those who have watched this administration's confusion in the middle east, as it has tilted first toward one and then another of israel's long- time enemies and wondered. "will america stand by her friends and sister democracy?" we say, america knows who her friends are in the middle east and around the world. america will stand with israel always. finally, we want a president
10:55pm
who will keep america strong, but use that strength to keep america and the world at peace. a nuclear freeze is not a slogan, it is a tool for survival in the nuclear age. if we leave our children nothing else, let us leave them this earth as we found it -- whole and green and full of life.
10:56pm
i know in my heart that walter mondale will be that president. a wise man once said, "every one of us is given the gift of life and what a strange gift it is. if it is preserved jealously and selfishly, it impoverishes and saddens. but if it is spent for others, it enriches and beautifies." my fellow americans, we can debate policies and programs. but in the end what separates the two parties in this election campaign is whether we
10:57pm
use the gift of life -- for others or only ourselves. tonight, my husband, john, and our three children are in this hall with me. to my daughters, donna and laura, and my son, john jr., i say, my mother did not break faith with me, and i will not break faith with you. [applause]
10:58pm
to all the children of america i say, the generation before ours kept faith with us, and like them, we will pass on to you a stronger, more just america. thank you. ♪ ♪ >> geraldine ferraro passed away yesterday at massachusetts general hospital at the age of 75 from complications with cancer. she leaves behind her husband as
10:59pm
pitiers and three children. -- her husband doesof 50 years and three children. >> tonight, on q&a controls below. and then on and prime minister's questions, the prime minister talks about the safety of nuclear power plants in the uk. the senate returns tomorrow at 2:00 p.m. eastern and at 3:00 p.m.. resuming debate, small business reauthorization bill. at 4:03 p.m. they will consider the nomination of the history judge for the district of new